Pet Loss Support and Education
Pet Loss Support Hotline Numbers
- WA State College of Vet Medicine: (866) 266-8635; Mon-Thurs 6:30-9:00 PM & Sat 1-3 PM PT
- ASPCA Pet Loss Hotline: (877) 474-3310; 24-hour consultation. Use keypad to enter pin number 140-7211. Your call will be returned immediately.
- Tufts University: (508) 839-7966; Mon-Fri 6-9 PM EST
- Michigan State University Hotline: (517) 432-2696; available T,W,TH 6:30-9:30pm EST
- Cornell State University: (607) 253-3932; Tues-Thurs 6-9 pm EST
Helpful Websites on Pet Loss
- Association for Pet Loss & Bereavement
- Pet Loss Support
- Pet Loss Grief Support & Candle Ceremony
- Guardian Animal Aftercare
- Argus Institute for Families and Veterinary Medicine
- Animal Love & Loss Network
- Delta Society
- Especially for Children:
- Viorst, J. (1971). The tenth good thing about Barney. Athenum.
- White, E. (1952). Charlotte's web. Harper Junior.
- Reading for Adults:
- Anderson, M. (1996). Coping with sorrow on the loss of your pet (2nd ed.). Loveland, CO: Alpine Publications, Inc.
- Sife, W., Ph.D. (2005). The loss of a pet: A guide to coping with the grieving process when a pet dies (3rd ed.). New York: Howell Book House.
For a more extensive bibliography, please visit the Association for Pet Loss & Bereavement website.